Night League brings competition without stress

Devin Brainch, Sports reporter

We were down 22-20 going into halftime. We had done enough to keep it close, but we needed more. We huddled up and got ready for the second half. In a half that could’ve come down to the wire, it was anything but.  Shot after shot, we began to slowly take over. By the end of the game, we had won 37-20. Our opponents didn’t score a single point in the second half. You might ask, what did we win? It was our first game of Night League.

Night League is New Trier’s intramural basketball league. As an alternative to teams run by the athletic department, Night League offers students a less stressful chance to play their favorite sport without the intensity of tryouts and daily practices. Let’s face it, getting playing time on New Trier sports teams is very competitive. This is especially true in basketball, which only allows 5 players on the court at a time. 

Night League is run by the Booster Club and is open to both girls and boys from freshman through senior years. No tryouts required. A team only needs to organize. They have to collect $350 among at least five and no more than 10 players. 

This season, in the freshman class there were over 70 boys participating on 10 different teams. Games took place on Wednesday nights at the Northfield campus. The season started at the end of November and ended in mid-February. Playoffs began in early February and lasted for two weeks.

Overall, much of the excitement came from playing against friends, which increased the competitive spirit. Prior to the games, students trash-talked their opponents (all in good fun). Also, some members of New Trier’s JV and freshman teams came to coach and cheer on their friends.

Now that the season is over, the real question is whether I would recommend Night League for next year. My answer is pretty simple and obvious. Yes.