COVID-19 guidelines are still in place, and we want to make sure we are continuing to stay safe. How can you still have fun with your friends and keep everyones safe? There are many different ways to do this!
1. Transform your garage into a hangout space!
With your parents’ permission, clean up your garage, put some lawn chairs in it and BOOM! You’ve got a fun, safe hangout place. You can keep the garage door open to stay safe, but still be warmer than being fully outside. If you wanted, you could purchase some space heaters to stay warmer, but make sure there is proper airflow for safety.
2. Bundle up, build a fire and have a fun campfire night!
For those who have a firepit in their backyard, you and your friends can sit socially distanced outside around the campfire. Buy some s’more fixings for a nice campfire treat, but make sure you bundle up, the fire won’t keep you that warm!
3. Go for a walk and enjoy the beautiful nature in our area
Harms Woods, The Skokie Lagoons, Crow Island Woods, and The Greenbay Trail are some of the well-known places you can walk around and enjoy the outdoors! Make sure you are respecting nature and others around you, so stay on the trail and be aware of others.
4. Some great winter activities are also great ways to have fun and stay safe!
Go sledding at one of the many hills in this area. (Lovelace Park in Wilmette, Mt. Trashmore in Evanston, Flick Park in Glenview, Skokie Playfield in Winnetka or Johns Park in Glenview.
5. Ice Skating is another great activity to do! Head downtown to Millennium Park or Maggie Daley Park and check out their rinks or try Watts Ice Rink in Glencoe (if you are a resident), Gilson Park Ice Rink in Wilmette or the Winnetka Ice Arena for some closer options
6. Igloo or Greenhouse Dining
If you’re comfortable, some restaurants have put up outdoor ‘igloos’ or ‘greenhouses’ for people to dine in. They are warm and keep you in a little pod with the people you came with. This is also a great way to support local restaurants that might be struggling because of the pandemic.
7. Walk around
If you just want to walk, Gillson Beach in Wilmette is a great place. With parts of the lake frozen, you will have some beautiful scenery. Another great place is the Northwestern University campus in Evanston. If you go here, make sure you wear a mask when on campus!