Lack of information turns elections into popularity contests

Elizabeth Connolly

With the student elections over and all of the votes in place, students have finally heard the results. But this puts the thought in place: What do the votes mean? There were many suitable candidates for numerous positions within the school’s leadership. However, one does have to consider if votes went towards the greater good or whoever had the best pun on a flyer.

“The slogans help,” a sophomore girl said, “and if they are memorable, then they are the only candidate that voters remember.” This can lead to students only voting for who they know or find funniest, rather than the person that would best benefit the school. 

The main way that the news of different candidates was spread was through the use of flyers and posters throughout the school. The difficulty of being informed of what type of exact candidate you were voting for, though, is that it is challenging to put a large amount of information onto these posters. 

The only real information that was given to the students about what each candidate stood for was when the voters were given access to the ballot. Many people might have just skipped through the paragraphs that explained the candidates’ promises. But they were necessary to make informed decisions. 

“These will be the leaders talking to administrators,” said a sophomore. “That’s why it’s important for them to be chosen carefully.”

Of course it is easy to criticize the way the student body is being informed, but the real challenge comes with how to get the knowledge out there. A possible way to avoid the lack of information in the future is to make a Canvas announcement a week before the election itself that contains all of the candidates’ policies. 

There was the video featuring those running to lead Student Council, Girls Club, and Tri-Ship. But that did not give everyone a fair shot in the spotlight. That doesn’t mean that we need an hour-long video of policies, but that there should be equal opportunity for all to get their voices heard.

It’s not only fair to those running in the election, but to voters as well.

Congratulations to all elected individuals and remember:

Go Trevians!